5 Things I Learned About Becoming A Better Blogger
A few years ago (5 to be exact) I decided that I wanted to start a blog. I wasn’t really sure what kind of blog this would be, all I knew was that I wanted to talk about my obsession with fashion, my love for putting outfits together and my dreams of someday attending NY Fashion week! At the time, blogging wasn’t so big, in fact I think the only bloggers I knew were Sincerely Jules and Chiara Ferragni. I had no clue what I was doing (sometimes I still don’t know) and just went with it. Created my oh so basic Blogger powered site and called myself a fashion blogger. A year later I became pregnant with little M and completely forgot about blogging. Fast forward to 2013 when I decided that “okay this time I REALLY am going to commit” which I did but soon started feeling miserable all the time. I was upset that I had to use a point & shoot, that Mr.B wasn’t quite sure how to photograph an ootd & that no matter how great I thought my outfits were, the readers just weren’t coming. So basically I went almost an entire year thinking I had the worst luck in the world , but the truth was that I just wasn’t committing, managing my time or even putting in the work.
I have now been blogging full time for about 7 months and have already learned so much along the way. Here’s 5 very basic but important things that I’ve learned about becoming a better blogger…
1. BEING MYSELF – Having my own voice and style was very difficult for me in the beginning. I was never sure whether I was blogging about certain things because I really liked them or simply because all the other ‘cool’ bloggers were doing it. Soon I realized that there is about a thousand other girls out there doing the blogging thing and the worst thing that could happen was me imitating them. Because I mean, imitation never leads to self growth, am I right? Sure there will be infinite similarities between bloggers here and there, but trust me, your readers will soon catch on to your lack of originality.
2. LAUGHING IT OFF – Chances are not everyone will like what you have to say or how you style your blue jeans. I know that now, but I can’t even tell you how many times I felt discouraged in the past by reading comments from people who just didn’t agree with my style or with my choice of white walls (fyi I love white walls, have you noticed?) Did these comments really matter? Nope, not really, I have learned to just laugh it off. It’s okay if others think my white walls are boring or if my style is lame. I have learned to stand up for what I believe in. It can be a little scary not following the crowd but trust me all that matters is that you like it and that it represents YOU.
3. DOING MY HOMEWORK – I knew I loved shopping and putting outfits together but I wasn’t always blogging about things people wanted to read. I soon realized that I had to do a little homework and get to know the industry I was working with. You don’t have to be a fashion major to know that fashion & trends change every season. Staying up to date by reading up on my issues of Vogue, InStyle, Glamour etc. helped me with creating relevant content without having to sacrifice my personal style.
4. HAVING FUN – I’m sure you’ve all heard the saying “do more of what you love” Like I mentioned above, I would sometimes catch myself blogging about things that I didn’t really love, which made blogging the total opposite of fun. Once I stopped trying to be like the cool girls and actually blogged about MY style, I started to enjoy it a whole lot more. I can honestly say that I have so much fun styling, shooting & sharing my looks with you all.
5. GIVING MYSELF A BREAK – This is actually something I am still learning. I’m such a busy bee, most of the time by choice. I just get so consumed in whatever it is I am doing and basically forget about the world around me. I have started to give myself a break. That one extra hour on Instagram will probably not make a significant difference anyway. Instead I try to spend more of my time with E & M ( E is not pictured)
Let me know what you guys thought about this post in the comments below.
Have a fabulous weekend!
XO, Lilly B.
Sign up for our newsletter to receive the latest!
• Early Access to posts
• Great Sales
• Weekly Round-Ups